Recipe number two for the blog and it’s a nice easy one folks. These are great as a snack during footy season or when having a few mates around for a lazy afternoon drinking sesh. They’re also a quick and nifty last minute gift idea. Just fill up a nice jar, glass, or similar, wrap in cellophane to make it present-able and Bob’s your uncle!
What you need:
- 1 x 330ml bottle beer
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 ½ cups unsalted roasted peanuts
- 2 tsps ground chilli powder
- 2 tsps salt
What to do:
- Place beer and sugar in a medium to large frypan and cook, stirring over low heat until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the peanuts and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the beer and sugar mixture starts to form strings when stirred. (About 20 minutes)
- Stir in the chilli powder and salt.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool before serving.
You can use any beer for this one but I prefer to use amber to dark ale varieties because they tend to bring a bit more flavour with their inherent maltiness. The batch pictured above was made with an amber.