If you hadn’t guessed, Drunkspec is heading down to GABS in a couple of weeks, which means the Wednesday Feature is going to be pretty GABS-oriented for the foreseeable future (although I might slip a TT in there too).
Anyway, here’s some good reads from other beer sources:
- Temple Brewery goes under – Crafty Pint
- Australian Pub Fund: How Singo and Mark Carnegie got their A-list mates back to the pub – BRW (hint: buy pubs cheap and then renovate them)
- GABS! – Fairfax
- ARCBA releases white paper – ARCBA (h/t ABN and The Shout)
- Red tape continues to strangle industry – The Shout
- Corporate wheelings and dealings – The Shout
- The mystery bottle – BeerCast
- Stealing glasses – Shut Up About Barclay Perkins
- The deadly consequences of a cut in the beer tax – Wonkblog (compare ABN for Australia and BeerCast for the UK)
There’s been a bit of chatter about beer taxes in the last week. If my experience writing about superannuation are anything to go by, it’s not worth writing a DS on the topic but it is worth pointing out that anyone who is sufficiently interested in beer that they produce articles explaining the impact of beer taxes is probably not likely to spend their Friday night loading up and going out to pick fights. As such, most of the articles on the topic are written by people who are, rightly, appalled at being lumped with violent alcoholics. Unfortunately, it is a cross we will have to bear until the government institutes an inversely proportional excise: the cheaper it is, the higher the tax. Hmmm, maybe I will write a DS about it.
Update: In a feat of remarkably convenient timing, Matt Kirkegaard from ABN had this to add.
And to dilute the beery nature of MR:
- Georgia’s War on Drugs: How Its Subutex Addiction Ended – New Republic
- Every Every Every Generation Has Been the Me Me Me Generation – The Atlantic
- One-Third of U.S. Honeybee Colonies Died Last Winter – Wired
- The art of selling sponsorship – Gordon Kirby
- Towards a semiotic economics – Macrobusiness
- 6 reasons good bands start to suck – Cracked
- Best. Bike. Ad. Ever. – Daily Bike